Lake Region & Northern Italy
Our tours of northern Italy include adventures to crystal clear alpine lakes, surrounded by the Italian and Swiss Alps, exceptional local specialties prepared by cooks and private excursions across northern Italy await you on this memorable trip. From a gorgeous villa located along the shore of Lake Maggiore, you experience easy day trips to Bellagio, Lake Como, the Centovalli, Vicenza and Lake Orta. All of the places visited are to provide a focus on the magical combination of history, architecture, food and flavors of northern Italy. Clients spend a day on a private launch, with a guide, exploring the Borromeo islands. Clients also have the opportunity to relax in lake side villages or on beautiful ferries that cross the Lakes of Maggiore, Como and Orta. A balance of flavorful food, unforgettable scenery and easy days are yours on this once a year exploration with Private Italy Tours Ltd.
Accommodations for our tours of northern Italy
Our villa for this tour is located along the shore of Lago (Lake) Maggiore. This beautiful lake is located only fifty minutes from Milan’s Malpensa International Airport. From this spacious and comfortable base, offering incredible views of the Borromeo Islands, guests enjoy easy day trips across the lake region. The villa is located near a small village on the shores of the lake so that our guests can walk in to the village if they wish. In Bologna we have selected a gorgeous luxury hotel located in the city center, a comfortable and safe base from which easy day trips and explorations are made prior to departures at the conclusion of the tour.
- Meet and greet at Milan Airport with private transportation from the airport to the villa
- Accommodations along the shores of Lago Maggiore in a lovely villa
- Private guides throughout the tour to add additional perspective to your time in the Lake Region
- Breakfast and Dinner most days at the villa, prepared by the villa’s cook
- Easy walking access to the lake side village near the villa
- Museum tickets included for those sites requiring
- Private modern van transportation throughout for day trips in the area/region
- Private transportation to the villa from Milan Malpensa airport (or Centrale Station) at the start of the tour
- Four star hotel accommodations while in Bologna
- Client itineraries will be provided via email in PDF format. These files can be downloaded to your phone, iPad, or “Cloud” files for reference as you travel. Printed and bound copies of the itinerary are made available by request to us for an additional charge. Please contact us for details regarding printed itineraries.
(Note: Letters within parenthesis indicate meals included with your tour – B: Breakfast, L: Lunch, D: Dinner)
Please note this itinerary indicates a typical tour with us. Some dates and destinations are subject to change to support the highest quality tour possible.
Day One: Arrival. Private transfer from Milano Malpensa Airport, or appropriate train station to a gorgeous villa on the shores of a lake north of Stresa on Lago Maggiore. Welcome dinner. (D)
Day Two: Mottarone and Santa Caterina by private launch. (B,L,D)
Day Three: Borromeo Islands – Isola Bella and Isola Pescatore using private launch. Lunch on Isola Pescatore.
Day Four: Private guided tour of Lago Como, including the Villa Carlotta, city of Como and the village of Bellagio. (B,D)
Day Five: Private guided tour day in Milan to include the Duomo, Galleria, La Scala and visit to Leonardo’s Last Supper.
Day Six: Open day for local explorations and relaxation (B,D)
Day Seven: Lago Maggiore Express: Ferry to Locarno and return by Centovalli train through the foothills of the alps. (B,L,D)
Day Eight: Private guided tour of Lago Orta and Isola San Giulio. (B, D)
Day Nine: Transfer from villa to village of upper Bergamo for a private guided tour. (B,D)
Day Ten: Day excursion to Lago Lugano with lunch aboard lake ferry. Open time in Lugano in the afternoon. (B, L, D)
Day Eleven: Transfer from Lago Maggiore to the city of Bologna. Check in to Four-star hotel near city center. (B)
Day Twelve: Private guided tour of the city center of Bologna. A light lunch will be served during the tour. Afternoon open. (B,L)
Day Thirteen: Day excursion to Parmigiano, Prosciutto and Balsamic producers north of Bologna. (B,L)
Day Fourteen: The group will have a private cooking lesson in Bologna today. The class will finish by enjoying the meal prepared by the class. (B,L)
Day Fifteen: Clients depart early for Bologna Marconi Airport and return flights to the United States. Those clients traveling on in Italy after the tour will be transferred to the Bologna Centrale station.