Lake Region & Northern Italy
Our tours of northern Italy include adventures to crystal clear alpine lakes, surrounded by the Italian and Swiss Alps, exceptional local specialties prepared by cooks and private excursions across northern Italy await you on this memorable trip. From a gorgeous villa located along the shore of Lake Maggiore, you experience easy day trips to Bellagio, Lake Como, the Centovalli, Vicenza and Lake Orta. All of the places visited are to provide a focus on the magical combination of history, architecture, food and flavors of northern Italy. Clients spend a day on a private launch, with a guide, exploring the Borromeo islands. Clients also have the opportunity to relax in lake side villages or on beautiful ferries that cross the Lakes of Maggiore, Como and Orta. A balance of flavorful food, unforgettable scenery and easy days are yours on this once a year exploration with Private Italy Tours Ltd.
Accommodations for our tours of northern Italy
Our villa for this tour is located along the shore of Lago (Lake) Maggiore. This beautiful lake is located only fifty minutes from Milan’s Malpensa International Airport. From this spacious and comfortable base, offering incredible views of the Borromeo Islands, guests enjoy easy day trips across the lake region. The villa is located near a small village on the shores of the lake so that our guests can walk in to the village if they wish. In Bologna we have selected a gorgeous luxury hotel located in the city center, a comfortable and safe base from which easy day trips and explorations are made prior to departures at the conclusion of the tour.
- Meet and greet at Milan Airport with private transportation from the airport to the villa
- Accommodations along the shores of Lago Maggiore in a lovely villa
- Private guides throughout the tour to add additional perspective to your time in the Lake Region
- Breakfast and Dinner most days at the villa, prepared by the villa’s cook
- Easy walking access to the lake side village near the villa
- Museum tickets included for those sites requiring
- Private modern van transportation throughout for day trips in the area/region
- Private transportation to the villa from Milan Malpensa airport (or Centrale Station) at the start of the tour
- Private transportation to the Bologna Airport at the conclusion of the tour
- Five star hotel accommodations while in Bologna
- Custom bound itineraries created by Private Italy Tour’s staff for each client which feature details of each day’s activities, sites visited and services provided
(Note: Letters within parenthesis indicate meals included with your tour – B: Breakfast, L: Lunch, D: Dinner)
Please note this itinerary indicates a typical tour with us. Some dates and destinations are subject to change to support the highest quality tour possible.
Day One: Arrival. Private transfer to a gorgeous villa on the shores of Lago Maggiore. Welcome dinner. (D)
Day Two: Mottarone and Santa Caterina by private launch. (B,L,D)
Day Three: Borromeo Islands – Bella and Pescatore. Villa Taranto using private launch (B,D)
Day Four: Private guided tour of Lago Como, including the city of Como and the village of Bellagio. (B,D)
Day Five: First class train to/from Milan. Private city guided tour and visit to Leonardo’s Last Supper.
Day Six: Transfer to Vicenza for city tour and visits to two of Andrea Palladio’s masterpieces; Villa’s La Rotonda and Valmarana with private guide
Day Seven: Lago Maggiore Express: Ferry to Locarno and return by Centovalli train through the foothills of the alps. (B,L,D)
Day Eight: Private guided tour of Lago Orta and Isola San Giulio.
Day Nine: Transfer to luxury hotel in the city center of Bologna. Afternoon tour of city center (B)
Day Ten: Prosciutto di Parma and Balsamico producer visits with lunch accompanied by private local guide (B,L)
Day Eleven: Cooking class at Bologna Cooking School (Optional visit to the Marenello Ferrari Museums can be arranged)
Day Twelve: Our guests depart from Bologna for their return to the US or other onward destination